Grief Awareness, Sibling Suicide Loss and Researcher Positionality

This week has been #GriefAwarenessWeek. The timing, whilst undoubtedly an aid to some/many, for me is somewhat awkward - despite my continuing wish to be open about grief (particularly that following a suicide loss) as an experience, I personally don’t particularly want to be ‘Grief Aware’ this week. I am all too cognizant that I will again be grief-clouded next week, given its Friday conclusion marks 12 years since my brother Martin’s death.

Good things have been happening in my academic life recently, not least the passing of my second PhD two weeks ago. Yet the pride, relief, dare I say happiness that I feel is tinged with degrees of both sadness and guilt; none of the achievements would have occurred without my brother’s passing. Suicide-loss grief has been, and will probably remain, central to my research, approach activity and career now, and that can be difficult to internally reconcile/contend with at times. I silently convey ‘thank yous’ to Martin, but in all honesty that can feel just plain weird – thank you for what? Experiencing pain, suffering? Dying? There can be zero logic in experiences following suicide loss, I find.

Despite having to navigate uncomfortable juxtapositions, central is that I do feel responsibility toward (honouring) my brother in my work and workplaces. Moreover, the strength of that feeling filters into a commitment to being continuously open about my academic positionality, something which I hope can also contribute to wider discussions about ‘Lived(ing) Experience’ as knowledge, researcher reflexivity and the kind of support institutions might want to think about offering researchers working in ‘sensitive subject’ fields (as well as those researched).

So, to honour both those who this week have been making important efforts to comfort whilst also amplifying loss as a wider experience in need of greater honesty and understanding and my own grief as another year without my little brother is recorded, I reproduce here the positionality statement I wrote and included at my thesis’ outset. Grief is hard, sad, dark, but there are sometimes to be found small pearls within these awful experiences which generate new ways of thinking and from which learning can blossom.

Researcher Positionality - An Initial Reflection

Writing in his introduction to When It Is Darkest: Why People Die By Suicide And What We Can Do To Prevent It, Professor of Health Psychology Rory O’Connor recounted having experienced what he described as a form of paralysis ‘by self-disclosure anxiety’ whilst compiling the volume:

“As someone who has spent all of my adult life endeavouring to portray myself as competent and self-assured, I kept asking myself why on earth would I risk exposing any vulnerabilities, uncertainties and neuroses in a book.” (O’Connor, 2021: 6)

Such a statement reflects the persistent discomfort in academia (amongst academics) with ‘the personal’ – the dominance of ‘the scientific’ has contributed to an embedded hierarchy of knowledges in academia within which lived experience continues to be (however implicitly) regarded as relatively lacking in authority. In reference to research activities, for all outward facing pronouncements of support and need for experiential data (particularly in social science and health-related subjects), it is still the case that qualitative work is more often than not the ‘add-on’, used to produce illustration for figures as opposed to an integrated, equal, partner in the work from the outset (Baum, 1995; Shelton et al., 2018). Given this is the case in reference to the researched, it is perhaps not surprising that there has been even less of a ‘narrative turn’ (Goodson and Gill, 2011) in reference to researchers’ own experiences – judgements directed at autoethnographic research, for example, of it as always “self-indulgent, narcissistic, introspective, and individualized” (Stahlke Wall, 2016), serve as illustration of continuing academy-internal scepticism toward and discomfort with researcher lived experience, contributing to perpetuation of ‘missing the point’ with regard to what personal knowledges can offer and bring to research topics.

Accounts of ‘researcher reflexivity’ customarily appear within the ‘methodological account’ areas of research write-ups. They are placed as such as means to explain and justify the conduct of the research as it happened, exploring researcher-position influences on process decisions and actions, data analysis and interpretations. My own lived experiences, however, are important to reflect upon outside of the specifically-labelled research process stages – they are key to my initial agreement to even undertake this project in the first place. I sought and undertook this study for specific reasons stemming from a specific experience, and it is necessary to openly acknowledge this as part of the originating ‘starting block’ and context underpinning this project from its outset.

My witnessing of the mental distress and deterioration of my brother Martin, difficulties which culminated in his death by suicide, is the over-time experience significant to my researcher role. Martin experienced mental distress for several years prior to his death. I noted his deterioration as connected to a multitude of circumstances, such as a long-term relationship break-up; an experience of assault; alcohol use, and insomnia. Of particular significance in reference to the research presented here is the relationship I viewed between my brother’s mental distress and his experiences of academic settings. Although not registered as a student at the time of his death (he had deferred his studies for a year), Martin’s connection with UKHE and his ‘student identity’ are to me significant elements in the with-hindsight roadmap to his passing (Sutherland, 2021). My brother appeared to regard his mental state as an inhibitor of his potential as a student – in a letter draft intended for his university department 9 months before he died, he wrote the following as part of an explanation for an extensive number of absences: 

“The progress of my professional/academic career has been continually interrupted and on some occasions completely forestalled. I received a 1st class degree and a Masters with Distinction … but my work in both cases was not nearly to the standard that – had I been ‘well’ – I believe I was capable of. I received an offer to study for a PhD … but was forced to turn it down after considered reflection on my mental state … Part of what I experience is what I can only describe as ‘social phobia’, a fear that increases over a period of time, and will often end up with me isolating myself completely from my peers … I have always had trouble sleeping but more recently I have suffered from severe insomnia, which is the primary cause of my recent inability to attend lectures and seminars at university.” (23rd March 2011)

Furthermore, in an appointment with a Consultant Psychiatrist in November 2011, a month before his death, situations he spoke on seemed to imply direct negative connection between his university-related experiences and contexts, sense of self, and mental state: 

“when a [PhD] course in London fell through, he took tablets”

“Martin then went to [university name] to study [subject] and found that he hardly spoke to anybody in halls.”[1]

Martin was, by the time of his death, feeling isolated and socially anxious, relying on antidepressant medications, though it was recorded by the consultant psychiatrist he saw just under a month before his death that:

“Martin is concerned that medication may be treating the symptoms but not the root cause, which he now sees as an inability to be with people.”[2]

Despite this note, prioritised was increasing his existing medications - there was no mention in the report of any other therapy options. Martin took his own life on 15th December 2011[3].

At the risk of appearing dramatic to those happily unencumbered with the lived experience, whilst also wishing to emphasise the at-core significance of the detail surrounding my brother’s life and death to my research approach, watching a sibling endure such distress over years is deeply, upsettingly impactful. When, furthermore, such an experience concludes in bereavement by suicide, the already-existing difficult impact has further layers added – new questions arise and new readings/understandings/explanations of (even long-past) circumstances emerge, in relation to the person gone, but also in relation to own and others’ roles in the chain of events. My brother’s death, however unintentional on his part, ruptured my life and created a personal sense of disorientation. After a chance meeting with a charity worker, I began to learn more about suicide (and suicide loss), about mental health more broadly, about trauma (impacts), and about alternative support options about which I had no awareness, (from peer support to aromatherapy massage, to animal therapy, to formal therapies, such as ‘Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing’ (EMDR)). Across the years since my brother’s death, I have begun to assimilate the experience into a new identity, in part a result of learning new detail and recalibrating personal assumptions, ideas and stereotypes in relation to the topics of mental health, mental illness, wellbeing, suicide etc. – to me these had appeared unchallengeable things and they would have remained so had I not had the lived experience I have had. Whilst Martin’s death was horrific in all manners imaginable, his departure has guided me to continuously reflect on, question, rethink and re-evaluate elements falling under the labelled category that is ‘mental health’, and he himself remains a motivation to always think about ‘the layers beneath’, ‘the lines that could be running parallel’.

Thus, this research and subsequent thesis owes much to the impacts of my encounter with suicide (loss). This has not only shaped and influenced my perceptions and views of the broader topic-areas and definitions but formed into what might be described as a type of ‘person-centred knowledge’ (Gatera and Singh, 2021, 2023), even prior to development of the specific research proposal itself. Rather than this being a negative feature in this project, there is benefit in terms of acute awareness of and attentiveness to elements that would perhaps be overlooked by those without the lived experience, elements that can ultimately be integrated with and “work alongside [instead of replacing] existing knowledge systems in mental health.” (Gatera and Singh, 2021, 2023; Watling et al., 2022; Rittenbach et al., 2019).”



[1] Cited from Consultant Psychiatrist’s report letter to General Practitioner regarding Martin Andrew Sutherland, 21st November 2011.

[2] Ibid.

[3] Martin’s death received a formal ‘Open Verdict’ coroner’s ruling; the manner of death and what I knew/learned of his mental states over the years, however, led to my own identification of it as his having taken his own life.  As recorded by ONS, in 2018, the ‘standard of proof’, i.e., “the level of evidence needed by coroners to conclude whether a death was caused by suicide” was changed from ‘beyond all reasonable doubt’, to ‘on the balance of probabilities’ (ONS, 2020). This may have impacted upon the verdict given for Martin’s death had this stood in 2011.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Years of Sibling Suicide Loss

Thoughts after seeing ‘Evelyn’.